Government Watchdog Reporter
The Fayetteville Observer/fayobserver.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring a government watchdog reporter to provide explanatory, enterprise and investigative reporting.
Daily stories, beat coverage, profiles, reporter visuals and high comfort with digital also are all part of the job. This reporter will find and tell compelling stories that hold government and institutions responsible to our readers. Being comfortable telling data stories is part of the job, as is considering the social justice ramifications of local government decisions, whether by action or omission.
We’re seeking a reporter with strong writing skills who can produce insightful journalism that makes a connection with readers. The reporter will act as a public ambassador through community outreach and will connect with readers through social media. He/she will provide thoughtful analyses of complex issues and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
The reporter will work with the content coach and content strategist to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests.
The Fayetteville Observer, the oldest daily newspaper in North Carolina, is in the Sandhills region of the state. The city and Cumberland County have experienced tremendous growth and development in recent years and are home to Fort Bragg, one of the largest military installations in the world.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Plans and executes engagement opportunities to reach audiences through content, community events and social media.
- Connects with the community through outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Produces photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1+ years of professional experience; strong college work will be considered.
- Experience with public records is required. Database or computer-assisted reporting skills will set applicants apart from others.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, multitask, contribute and excel under pressure.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Famille d’emplois Frontline Journalists
- Fonction professionnelle Consumer
- Type de paie À heure
- Caroline du Nord, États-Unis
- Fayetteville, Caroline du Nord, États-Unis