MACHINE LEARNING ENGINEER
Within UniGroup’s Data Science & Machine Learning team (we go by “dismal” if you have a sense of humor), the machine learning engineer is charged with improving the ML workflow for our data scientists. Scaling up prototype models to handle UniGroup’s enterprise scale requires both deploying models into custom high throughput web services, but also providing tools to improve the workflow speed and reproducibility of the model development. Improving the entire data science workflow means allowing the data scientists to focus on mathematics and abstracting the training, service deployment, and maintenance in a way that makes the team faster and more productive.
The work location for this role is flexible if approved by UniGroup except this position may not be performed remotely from Colorado.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivers and maintains high quality microservices that serve a variety of machine learning models for the Data Science and Machine Learning team.
- Work directly with the Director of Artificial Intelligence to design solutions to the data scientist’s workflow problems.
- Package reusable code into custom libraries for the data science team
- Profile machine learning applications to determine bottlenecks and refactor them to be more performant
- Manages the infrastructure and data pipelines needed to bring code to production.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field OR equivalent professional or military experience
- 1+ years of experience in machine learning. The machine learning engineer will not often train models, but without understanding the machine learning problem cycle it is difficult to support the data scientists.
- Hands on experience with building data or machine learning pipelines.
- Experience deploying high reliability, fast, production HTTP-based microservices in Flask/FastAPI/Django or other server-side Python.
- ML Libraries: Proficient in one or more deep learning libraries (PyTorch/Tensorflow) in addition to Scikit Learn.
- Production Experience: Experience in having live services in production, with appropriate logging and robustness to make the production experience smooth.
- Software Design: Developing ML workflows is not a solved problem. It will require creativity and skill in designing novel solutions.
We foster diversity, in part, by imposing a strict policy of non-discrimination. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information or other status protected by the law.
We value the unique skills and experiences that veterans and separated service members bring to our workforce. While serving our country you have gained skills such as leadership, flexibility, and agility, which will help to make you successful here. We are dedicated to supporting military families and ensuring that we provide a welcoming environment for our country’s heroes. We hope you consider joining the UniGroup family.
- Job Function Exempt
- Pay Type Salary
- St. Louis, MO, USA