Head Boys' Water Polo Coach
Under the general direction of the director of athletics, the head coach of boys’ water polo is responsible for all aspects of the boys’ water polo program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: coaching, scheduling, coordinating with admissions, budget management, and overall administration of the program. Credentials should reflect proven success in coaching, teaching, and working with student-athletes.
Founded in 1952, Stevenson School is one of the leading independent PK-12 day and boarding schools in the western United States. As a California school enlightened by a global sensibility, Stevenson is premised on a vision of education as the means by which we discover the world and contribute to its transformation, and the belief that one’s education is best pursued in the company of others, for others’ benefit as well as one’s own. For seventy years, Stevenson has offered a values-driven community experience influenced by the distinctive beauty, ecological biodiversity, and contemplative nature of California’s Central Coast. Our Latin motto—Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re (“Gentle in manner, resolute in action”)—inspires both humility
The 520-student upper division, composed of grades 9-12, is located on the original Pebble Beach Campus (where about 55% of students are boarders); the School’s Carmel Campus–approximately three miles away–is home to its lower (PK-4) and middle (5-8) divisions, which currently enroll approximately 260 students.
RECENT PROGRAM HISTORY:
2019: 23-3 Overall, 12-0 PCAL League Champions, #1 seed CCS Division 2
2020: No Season due to Covid
2021: 17-7 Overall, 10-0 PCAL League Champions, #6 seed CCS Open Division
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Organizes, provides leadership for, and conducts all phases of the boys’ water polo program.
● Plans and coaches practices and games in a manner that will promote team excellence, individual growth, development and team unity.
● Displays competent knowledge of the sport (strategy, adjustments, and practice design).
● Creates organized and appropriate plans for each season, practice, and competition (conditioning, drills, scouting, and game planning).
● Develops a quality schedule that will provide competitive opportunities for student-athletes, meet scheduling criteria and contribute to achieving the goal of participating in CCS postseason competition.
● Represents Stevenson as the public face of the program throughout the community by being a positive representative of the school to fans, potential students and families, parents, and community members.
● Creates an enthusiastic following and support among faculty, students, and staff. Actively engages with the campus community as well as local schools and club water polo programs. Organizes and manages camps and clinics.
● Maximizes the abilities of assistant coaches and develops a strong coaching staff through effective organization and planning. Actively participates in professional development for self as well as supports professional development when appropriate for assistant coaches.
● Establishes clear expectations of the athletes (practice, competition, and whenever representing the school).
● Communicates effectively to both athletes and parents throughout the season (maintains positive relationships with all members of the team, ensures parents have access to the coach).
● Provides athletes the tools they need to prepare for the next step within the program and into college (leadership, fundamentals, mentality, and recommendations).
● Thorough knowledge of and commitment to CIF, CCS, and PCAL bylaws.
Candidates may be asked to represent the program at school events.
3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in coaching water polo. Experience at the collegiate and/or elite post-collegiate club and/or national team level as a player or coach is a considerable plus.
- Pay Type Salary
- Job Start Date Friday, July 1, 2022
- 3152 Forest Lake Rd, Pebble Beach, CA 93953, USA