Director of Philanthropy - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Director of Philanthropy oversees the engagement and growth of the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's (SDZWA) individual donors with a strategic emphasis on six- and seven-figure gifts. The Director is responsible for the cultivation and active management of a portfolio of 75-100 major and principal gift prospects and provides direct supervision to a team of Philanthropy Officers. This role will provide strategic direction for the Major Gifts program. This position reports to the Senior Director of Philanthropy and closely collaborates with the Director of Gift Planning, the Director of President's Clubs, and the Senior Director of Principal Gifts.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Build a robust major gifts program supporting current and future resource needs with a specific focus on high-net worth individuals.
- Manage a portfolio of individual major gift prospects through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship process with an emphasis on $500,000+ gifts.
- Lead and coach the team of Philanthropy Officers, providing supervision and meaningful oversight.
- Direct a strategic plan to accelerate growth in major gift programs.
- Create and execute a comprehensive philanthropy plan with goals and objectives that include thoughtful portfolio analysis, strategic individual prospect plans, and clearly defined metrics for the purpose of closing major gifts.
- Provide outstanding leadership in support of fundraising initiatives and strategies for major gifts, and collaborating with the gift planning, annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, and philanthropic research and stewardship teams.
- Demonstrate the utmost discipline in documenting the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and follow-up strategies for each prospect and donor.
- Oversee volunteer-based Task Forces that enlist and engage volunteer and committee members to identify, introduce, and invite new major and principal gift prospects.
- Work closely with philanthropy staff for prospect research, stewardship, and events.
- Engage donors directly through personalized communications and outreach that deepens their relationships with SDZWA.
- Collaborate with Marketing to develop compelling case for support documents, proposals, and other solicitation materials.
- Collaborate with the Sustaining Philanthropy team to upgrade mid-level donors to major donors.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Minimum seven (7) years or related professional experience in a fundraising/development unit or department within a complex non-profit organization
- Seven (7) years or more of experience demonstrating success in securing five-, six-, and seven- figure gifts or record of accomplishment that includes the identification, solicitation, and stewardship of multiple, high-capacity donors in the $100,000+ range.
- Extensive and demonstrated success in managing individual fundraisers, equipping and motivating them to meet individual and team goals.
- Experience working within a complex academic environment, such as a major health sciences organization or large state university with multiple colleges, campuses and programs.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree Business administration, marketing, communication, or a related field
- California driver license
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to expand engagement efforts to reach out to national and international donors and prospects
- Demonstrated success in building a major gifts program as part of a comprehensive philanthropy department
- Deep appreciation and understanding of a mission and vision of an organization and the ability to articulate values internally and externally
- Ability to work across divisions to liaison with other divisions on joint projects and needs
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to establish and maintain internal and external relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience motivating and managing individuals and teams for maximum performance
- Proven ability to support employee inclusion and professional development
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Duration: Regular Full-Time Salaried Exempt Position
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our employees, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
SDZWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SDZWA will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ethnicity, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, marital status, parental status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
- Pay Type Salary
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA