We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
Department: Practice Group Management
Direct Reports: No
Supervised By: Practice Group Leader, COO, and/or Chief Marketing/Business Development Officer
The Practice Group Manager will work directly with Practice Group Leaders (PGLs), attorneys and staff, and with key administrative leaders to provide support and focus in the areas of:
• Practice Group Business and Operations
• Financial Management
• People Management
The Practice Group Manager will serve as the primary business manager for multiple practice groups, and as a liaison between the PGLs/PG and other Firm departments to support the PGs goals and strategic initiatives. Practice Group Managers should exhibit the Firm’s core values within the PG, and adhere to all Firm policies, procedures, standards and guidelines. This position will require after-hours and weekend work as well as periodic (including overnight) travel.
Practice Group Business and Operations
• PG Strategy and Business Planning
o Works with PGL to prepare the PGs annual business plans and goals, monitor and report progress during the year.
o Supports the PGL and the Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer in their assessment and market analysis.
o Works with the PGL to provide appropriate PG support to Industry Teams.
o Collaborates with BDMs on specific activities, including developing and managing PG budgets, and responding to new business proposals and RFPs as appropriate.
• Partners with the PGL to:
o Prepare for and support regular PG meetings and other types of practice group gatherings. Ensure meetings have meaningful agendas, include reporting of key performance indicators, and result in actionable takeaways.
o Maintain meeting notes, monitor progress toward action items, and follow-up on specific action items and/or coordinates deliverables as applicable.
o Establish and maintain regular, clear, and consistent lines of communication with the PG including those located in other offices.
• Assists with specific events and other related client initiatives that are led by or significantly involve PG members. Ensures that PG is appropriately represented at Firm and client events, activities, and initiatives.
• Manages the execution of PG projects, initiatives, and other items assigned by the PGL.
• Fields questions on various aspects of the PG operations.
• Continually implements process improvement to increase efficiency and innovation within the PG and improve overall service delivery.
• New Business Intake: Reviews and approves new clients and matters as part of intake process and ensures consistent compliance with firm-wide standards.
• Researches and keeps PGLs and Chief Information Officer abreast of key practice technologies and innovations.
• Promotes high levels of client service and adherence to Parker Poe Client Service Standards.
• Contributes to the PGs resume by notifying the BD and marketing team of significant matters for media outreach and experience tracking in experience database.
• Supports the PGL in managing the financial performance of attorneys and the PG to ensure all key metrics are met, including growth, client and matter financial performance, expenses, budget management, billable hours, and collections.
• Acts as a liaison with Accounting to generate and analyze financial reports and prepare appropriate summaries and briefings, and address specific reporting needs for the PGLs/practice group.
• Works with Chief Financial Officer and Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer to identify opportunities for rate setting and value-added pricing through alternative fee arrangements as well as opportunities to renegotiate client service level agreements for more favorable terms.
• Partners with the PGL to ensure PG members practice sound financial hygiene such as time entry and billing.
• Manage expense approvals and track against PG administrative budget
Partners with the PGL and HR in identifying, establishing, and implementing hiring/strategic growth goals.
• Partners with HR on the planning and recruitment of attorneys and staff in order to meet the needs of the Practice Group.
• Assists with the onboarding and integration plan for each lateral hire, ensuring the plan is implemented and new lawyers are on-boarded successfully.
• Facilitates onboarding and integration by connecting new hires to other attorneys in the Practice Group, the office, and the Firm.
• Assists the PGL in managing the work allocation process for PG attorneys to maximize production to meet client needs. Monitors attorney workload and utilization reports in order to identify productivity issues and gaps.
• Regularly reviews the PGs staffing needs to ensure the best use of staff resources and improve staff engagement, including Paralegal hours, LPA utilization and capacity.
Partners with the PGL and HR to facilitate the professional development plans and expectations for each Associate and Counsel/Special Counsel as appropriate, including:
• Training, job shadowing, pro bono, etc., under the Firm’s professional development program.
• Assigning mentors for each non-partner, as appropriate.
• Supports the PGL in their role and participation in the Professional Review Committee (PRC) processes.
• Works with the Office of General Counsel on implementing the Firm’s processes for departing attorneys, including ensuring the smooth transition of all outstanding clients/matters for departing attorneys, and as appropriate, the sending client letters according to the Firm and Bar ethics rules.
Diversity and Inclusion
• Support the firm’s strategic plan by contributing to the success goals of diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Coordinate with BD Managers and Diversity Manager on diversity-related surveys and RFPs.
• 5+ years of experience in law firm administration or corporate legal operations.
• Bachelors’ Degree in business administration, accounting/finance, marketing, human resources, or related field required. MBA highly desirable.
• Working knowledge of generally accepted business and financial principles, disciplines, and standards.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to influence others, as well as flex style and delivery to varying audiences.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills. Demonstrates effective teamwork. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with Practice Group Leaders, Firm management, attorneys, professional staff, clients, and the public.
• Excellent project management skills and demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload and consistently meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Highly self-motivated and self-directed. Works independently with minimal supervision. Overcomes major obstacles and recognizes when issues should be escalated.
• Demonstrates independent judgment and is expected to provide guidance and direction to key stakeholders.
• Exhibits initiative and innovative thinking, implements process improvement, and drives best practices. Demonstrates problem-solving skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and confidentiality.
• Possesses a “hands-on” tactical approach. Comfortable working in a mixed-matrix environment with many stakeholders and potentially competing priorities.
• Technology savvy with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word) as well proficiency with legal management and accounting software.
Parker Poe is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes recruitment, employment, promotional and all other personnel decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law