Paralegal - Insurance Defense/Medical Malpractice
Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments.
We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
The insurance defense/medical malpractice paralegal will work in our Charlotte office supporting the professional negligence and product liability defense group. This is a nonexempt administrative position that reports to the Office Administrator and assigned attorneys. There are no direct reports to this position.
The Paralegal will work a regular schedule as determined by the Office Administrator and/or assigned attorneys. The typical schedule will consist of 7.5 hours per day equating to 37.5 hours per week. Additional hours (including overtime) will be required on occasion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft correspondence, pleadings, and discovery documents
- Communications with clients, witnesses and court personnel
- Review and summarize depositions, medical records, and other discovery materials in complex medical malpractice cases
- Trial preparation, including electronic presentations
- Assist attorneys at trial, coordinate witnesses and manage trial exhibits
- Manage electronic databases associated with e-discovery
- Assist with document productions
- Internet research
- Assist with retention and facilitate medical record reviews with expert witnesses
- Electronic filings
- 5+ years of litigation/insurance defense/medical malpractice experience
- Nursing or medical experience a plus
- Experience with review and organization of medical records
- Trial experience a plus
- Paralegal certificate and/or college degree
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and accommodate rush requests
- Must be a team player, willing to help other team members during peak times
- Superior computer skills, using Microsoft Office Suite and Case Notebook
- Parker Poe, 620 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America