Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments.
We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
Department: Human Resources
Direct Reports: Yes
Supervised By: Chief Human Resources Officer
The Director of Diversity & Inclusion is responsible for creating, implementing, and leading the Firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
The Director is responsible for:
• Raising diversity awareness and supporting and implementing policies, programs, processes and initiatives to meet the Firm’s diversity-related strategic objectives.
• Preparing and coordinating the development of materials and events related to the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion strategic plan.
• Supporting and furthering the Firm’s initiatives to attract, develop, train, retain and promote attorneys in all offices.
The Director will partner with Professional Development, Attorney Recruiting, and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee Chairperson, as well as collaborate and interact with the Board, Practice Group Leaders, Firm Leadership, and Marketing Department to accomplish the strategic plan.
This position can sit in one of the following office locations: Atlanta, GA; Charlotte or Raleigh, NC; Charleston, Columbia or Greenville, SC; or, Washington, DC.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Manages all aspects of the firm’s strategic focus on diversity and inclusion in consultation with the Chief Human Resources Officer and the Chairperson of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
• Creates, develops, and leads the implementation of programs that enhance the Firm’s reputation and image as a leader in diversity.
• Monitors industry and market trends and best practices related to diversity in law firms and the legal profession. Keep the Firm leadership, Chief Human Resources Officer and Diversity and Inclusion Committee apprised of the same.
• Serves as an advisor to firm management, office and practice group leaders on diversity-related issues.
• Promotes internal awareness of issues that impact diversity and effectively communicates the need for a diverse and inclusive work environment.
• Serves as an external liaison for the Firm in the diversity community and communicates with clients regarding diversity initiatives.
• Monitors and evaluates firm-wide diversity statistics and generates internal and external diversity-related reports as requested by attorneys, clients and other organizations.
• Serves as the central administrative support to the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, including coordinating and scheduling all committee meetings and preparing all agendas.
• Leads, manages, and directs professional HR staff with clear performance expectations, measures for accountability, and professional development opportunities.
• Prepares and monitors the annual budget for firm wide Diversity and Inclusion initiatives.
• Works collaboratively with Practice Groups, Administrative Departments (Business Development, Finance/Accounting, IT, Facilities, etc.) to ensure cohesive approach to Diversity and Inclusion.
• Oversees development, implementations and updates of all firm policies related to diversity.
• Oversees all internal and external communications regarding the firm’s diversity program. Works with the Marketing Department on diversity related promotional materials, including the diversity portion of the firm’s website.
• Develops and oversees firm’s diversity statement for purposes of recruiting and business development.
• Is visible as a firm-wide ambassador, serving as a resource, mentor and advisor to the Firm’s diverse attorneys and ensure firm-wide coordination and implementation of diversity initiatives.
• 8+ years of experience in leading diversity and inclusion programs across multiple locations. Experience working in a law firm or professional services environment is preferred.
• Bachelors’ Degree in Human Resources, Business Management, or related field. Professional HR certification is a plus.
• Excellent written communication and public speaking skills. Communicates information clearly to diverse audiences using a variety of techniques and adapting methods to meet the needs of particular groups.
• Substantial analytical, evaluative, statistical examination, and problem-solving skills with a keen attention to detail. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Excellent time management skills and demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload and consistently meet deadlines.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with employees, attorneys, teams, clients, and vendors.
• Highly self-motivated and self-directed. Works independently with minimal supervision. Overcomes major obstacles and recognizes when issues should be escalated. Demonstrates independent judgment and uses discretion.
• Exhibits initiative and innovative thinking and drives best practices. Demonstrates attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including creating and utilizing presentations and spreadsheets as well as HR applications.
Parker Poe is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes recruitment, employment, promotional and all other personnel decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law