Legal and Compliance Intern
Here at Janney, we live our values. We deliver, with integrity, financial services to our clients to help them meet their investment, retirement and business goals. Our professional, respectful and team-oriented culture helps us to keep people at the center which has allowed us to exceed the expectations of our clients for over 185 years. This is who we are, this is what we do as we strive to be the highest standard of success in financial relationships.
Janney’s Corporate Internship Program is a 10-week paid opportunity beginning June 6 – August 12, 2022 for students entering their senior year of undergraduate study who are on track to graduate in Spring/Summer 2023.
The Legal & Compliance Intern will have the opportunity to learn, be exposed to, and perform different functions within the two areas. This individual will perform a wide variety of functions and will assist in the process of maintaining departmental regulatory controls in addition to ad hoc projects as assigned. Projects vary widely, but typical duties may include:
- Analyze data to uncover potentially suspicious activities. This might include reviewing trading activity to identify potential market manipulation or money movement indicating potential money laundering.
- Create and maintain spreadsheets to document various testing and control results, consolidated from business units throughout the firm
- Attend a local branch inspection with an inspections analyst toward the end of the internship, experiencing the examination process first-hand
- Assist the Branch Inspections team with file and report preparation, collation, and analysis.
- Shadow various Legal and Compliance Department leaders as they advise business partners on navigating and managing conflicts of interest
- Participate in assigned projects as needed
Program Eligibility Requirements:
Ability to work full-time (37.5 hours/week) during the internship
- Application deadline is 11/19/21.
- Ability to learn and use technology systems
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with a high level of initiative and motivation
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner in a project or deadline-driven environment
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships at all organizational levels
- Ability to collaborate effectively and be a contributing member of the team
- Demonstrate a strong desire to learn and quickly grasp concepts and information to apply to work assignments
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and initiatives while maintaining a strong sense of urgency
- Demonstrated leadership and/or participation in extracurricular activities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Desire for a career in the financial services industry
- Currently enrolled in a 4-year accredited college/university and actively pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree
- Must be a rising Senior (graduating in Spring 2023)
- Business related majors preferred
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher preferred
Janney is dedicated to promoting and supporting diversity within our workplace. We provide an environment that promotes respect, integrity, teamwork, achievement and acceptance regardless of age, disability, education, gender, gender expression, gender identity, job level, marital status, military status, national origin, parental status, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other protected factors. Janney is committed to equal employment opportunities and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Philadelphia, PA, USA