Senior Specialist, Legislative
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Senior Legislative Specialist for its affiliate Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF). In this position you will develop legislative strategy and promote the legislative goals of the HSLF to Congressional offices and committees. You will also provide guidance to other legislative staff while leading on multiple issues and on appropriations issues as designated.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with the President and Vice President of HSLF to develop strategic priorities that include working with Congressional members to pass animal welfare legislation and to defend against attacks to weaken animal protection laws. Implementing these priorities and helping junior legislative staff navigate the legislative process;
- Promoting the HSLF’s legislative goals to Congressional offices and committees focusing on authorizing and appropriating language. Providing regulatory lobbying support;
- Alerting appropriate program, campaign, regulatory, litigation, and communications staff of opportunities to advance or defeat legislative measures. Providing information on timing of legislative actions and in coordination with outreach and state affairs, drafting alerts for grassroots actions;
- Working in coordination with the HSUS’ public relations department to review press releases, op-eds, and other media materials as related to federal legislations. Providing media interviews as needed;
- Working to develop coalitions with a variety of political organizations and associations where common interests intersect. Representing the legislative agenda and strategy of the HSLF within these coalitions;
- Drafting action alerts, fact sheets, blogs, and other outreach materials for distribution to the activist network. Drafting materials for outreach to Congressional offices;
- Contributing to testimony for Congressional hearings and drafting questions for Congressional hearings;
- Assisting in planning Hill events, including Legislator Awards, Briefings, and TAFA Lobby Day.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of four (4) years of lobbying/government relations experience required;
- Strong knowledge of federal legislative process, appropriations process, and committee work;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to multitask and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is located in the Washington, DC Metro Area.
Submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
The Humane Society of the United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
- Washington, DC, USA