Health and Social Services Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Health and Social Services Reporter
The Kitsap Sun/kitsapsun.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover health care and social service issues in our Puget Sound community. We are a daily newspaper and digitally focused newsroom in Bremerton, Washington.
Candidates should love storytelling and embrace the role of a watchdog in addressing a range of regional issues that may include our community’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, health care policy and equity, public health, mental health resources and the issue of homelessness.
Our reporting is focused on explaining important issues to readers and pointing toward solutions with solid research, in-depth writing and community outreach.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience’s passion.
- Bachelor's in communications, journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 1-2 years of reporting experience or strong internship experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
· Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Bremerton, WA, USA
- Kitsap County, WA, USA
- Washington, USA