Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Carlsbad Current-Argus/currentargus.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is hiring a Sports Reporter.
The ideal person leads in content creation and optimization and has primary responsibility for ensuring quality sports and outdoor recreation content across digital and print platforms. Applies story-telling expertise to ensure high quality content with a focus on video, narrative writing, photography, alternative story forms and story presentation.
- Beat writing: prep sports, community sports and semiprofessional coverage.
- Covering outdoor recreation and non-traditional sports topics.
- Produce content in a variety of formats that connects with readers and grows our audience.
- Break news quickly in a competitive market.
- Establish themselves as an authority on the topics they cover and take readers inside the games.
- Engage with sports fans on social media and use those platforms to spread our content to potential new readers.
- Shoot and post video and be comfortable in front of the lens.
- Develop sources for deeper dives into important topics and issues.
- Bachelor's in communications, journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Analysis and column writing skills.
- Line editing and co-editing of daily publication; editing for clarity, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Experience in video and photography.
- Coordination with planning editor in content for print and online publication.
- Good news judgment and experience in breaking news coverage.
- Other duties as necessary.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Carlsbad, NM 88220, USA
- New Mexico, USA