Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Battle Creek Enquirer, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an enterprising reporter to cover a variety of issues and topics in this southern Michigan community. This reporter must be highly motivated and able to join a fast-paced team focused on telling compelling stories that resonate with audiences. Some experience is preferred, but entry-level candidates with internship experience will be considered.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent
- Experience at a daily news organization preferred
- Ability to write clear, compelling articles and to enhance your work with video and other digital storytelling tools as appropriate.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- This job includes some evening and weekend work.
The Battle Creek Enquirer serves south-central Michigan. The city boasts its own lake within its boundaries, with a popular public beach. The Binder Park Zoo is a popular regional attraction. The city and area are home to a strong system of parks and trails, including the 3,000-acre Fort Custer Recreation Area, a state-run site that offers trails for mountain bikers, equestrians, hikers and dog-sledders. The city is also within easy distance of Detroit, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Lake Michigan’s beautiful beaches.
When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible: a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It’s important that these items be combined into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Battle Creek, MI, USA
- Michigan, USA