Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Citizen Times/citizen-times.com, of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a reporter eager to write impactful education stories that will get the community talking and sharing.
Flexibility is key in this job, as this reporter will be expected to write both quick turns on the education news of the day, as well as regular enterprise, focusing on accountability, student academic and social wellbeing and education policy. Adaptability is essential. One day might be filled with breaking education news, while the next day might require digging into stories that require more in-depth reporting. In short, we need a reporter who isn’t afraid to ask the hard questions and doesn’t settle for limits set by school districts’ PIOs. A dogged, well-sourced reporter is required in this role.
Training in mobile journalism is a bonus. In education coverage, this reporter would need to build a story quickly for digital platforms and then know how to advance the story with an engaging lead and well-sourced copy.
Asheville, North Carolina is a vibrant community in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and is home to some of the nation's best mountain biking, hiking and kayaking. It's also known as a top restaurant destination and boasts dozens of craft breweries.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years’ previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered education previously.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience’s time and money.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
When you apply, let us know how you fit this role and show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or helped produce that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Asheville, NC, USA
- North Carolina, USA