Designer/Page Editor - Features - Design Studio
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Design Studio - Designer/Page Editor - Features
Produces high-quality content working closely with multiple Gannett newspapers. Demonstrates command of design and headline writing techniques through efficient, accurate work. Performs duties under minimal supervision. Produces content for either print and/or digital as needed. Employs journalistic principles to determine importance and fairness when deciding how to play stories.
- Works with minimal supervision to write clear, accurate headlines and other display type on content that engage readers. Trims stories to fit the designated space. Ensures stories have sufficient devices to provide strong layering of story packages. Utilizes CUE system best-practice workflow. Continually looks for new ways to increase efficiency, accuracy and collaboration while meeting all deadlines.
- Designs content with accuracy using layered information to reflect the tone of the product and its market. Follows Unified style guidelines.
- Collaborates with site editors and staff to maximize the use of newshole and resources. Assigns stories to pages based on site’s booking philosophy and page-flow requirements.
- Proofreads display type and tracks jumps as assigned and corrects errors. Edits display type to Network and AP style.
- Performs other duties as necessary and as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
- Two years or more experience at a weekly or daily newspaper designing pages and writing headlines in a deadline-driven environment. Good communications skills, solid news judgment, and importance of story play in news page design a must.
- Job Family Creative & Design
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Des Moines, IA, USA