Government Accountability Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Government Accountability/GA Reporter
This Citizen Times beat covers Buncombe County, home of Asheville, as well as some regional reporting from across Western NC.
This reporter will be the watchdog over county government, writing impactful stories that will get the community talking, protect residents’ interests, and hold county leaders accountable.
This reporter should be competitive and ready to break hard-hitting stories, from quick reports to deep enterprise and projects. The beat is not exclusively government reporting; it reaches beyond meetings to include real stories of people who live and work in the area. This reporter should have a strong social media presence and be eager to work in a digital-first newsroom.
This position might periodically include a Saturday shift.
Asheville, North Carolina is a vibrant community in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and is home to some of the nation's best mountain biking, hiking and kayaking. It's also known as a top restaurant destination and boasts dozens of craft breweries.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Writes clear, fast and accurately in turning coverage of meetings/proceedings into readable storytelling.
- Bachelor's or Master’s in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
- Minimum of 2 years’ professional reporting/newsroom experience.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Able to work occasional late nights as needed by the news cycle.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Asheville, NC, USA
- North Carolina, USA