Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Burlington Free Press – USA Today Network is seeking a data-driven storyteller to work in the Burlington, Vermont, newsroom.
The Free Press is a digital-first newsroom with a commitment to high-impact, high-interest journalism.
We’re looking for a candidate who seeks out the unexpected narrative buried in the data and finds stories about people who are often overlooked to truly reflect our community in its entirety. The beat calls for daily, quick-turn pieces as well as enterprise ideas that deliver stories others are missing or offer the kind of insight, perspective and context that drives readers to subscribe to the Free Press.
This is a great opportunity for the early career reporter who has what it takes to become a whiz with databases as well as a masterful storyteller. The Free Press has a track record of developing members of our staff and helping them toward their goals, both personally as a journalist and in their career.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Entry-level candidates considered, but 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Strong command of grammar and AP style.
- Familiarity with basic database programs such as Excel to create and use databases as a reporting tool.
- Knowledge of how to take pictures and video to accompany enterprise stories.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Ability to multi-task and perform under deadline.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
Burlington is the largest city in Vermont and sits on the shores of Lake Champlain. The area offers the best of both worlds in terms of urban attractions and access to the outdoors. There’s a flourishing food scene, craft breweries and cultural events, thanks to the multi-ethnic community that calls this place home. A short drive from Burlington offers some of the best skiing in the Northeast along with hiking in the warmer months.
The Free Press has served the area as a go-to news source for nearly 200 years. The news team’s 2021 mission is to provide digital readers with unique and insightful local coverage that offers information that can help people better understand the forces at work in our community and the power they have in shaping their future.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Burlington, VT, USA
- Vermont, USA