Content Coach for Central Kansas
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Content Coach for Central Kansas
The USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a dynamic, results-driven editor to lead the news staffs of the daily Hutchinson News and Salina Journal and the weekly McPherson Sentinel.
This coach will lead these news staffs to make strategic decisions about coverage, break exclusive news, cultivate deep sourcing, and develop explanatory and enterprise reports and champion investigative reports. “Coach” is the defining word for this job: It requires a mentor who can help reporters improve their newsgathering and writing skills and take on ever-more-sophisticated work.
This coach will be based in Salina and will serve as a key ambassador to the community, while working with newsroom staffers in Hutchinson to increase the visibility and impact of their work in that community as well.
The editor will use metrics and audience research to guide decisions about covering topics and issues that will drive audience growth, engagement, and digital subscriptions.
The job requires a problem solver who is well-organized and can work independently and exercise solid news judgment.
A successful candidate will embrace the latest developments in video, digital technology and social media and will experiment with innovative approaches to build audience. He or she will effectively collaborate with other USA TODAY Network journalists in Kansas; the regional Digital Optimization Team; and print-focused Design Studio.
You will report to Gannett’s state editor in Kansas and help execute statewide breaking news coverage, enterprise, and investigations.
Salina (population of 47,000) and Hutchinson (41,000) are major cities in Kansas and regional centers for health, education, and agribusiness.
- Help the staff hone skills in a wide range of storytelling: from real time digital updates to narrative storytelling to investigative reporting, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Use metrics and analytics to determine how to best reach and grow the audience.
- Increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with co-workers.
- Serve as an ambassador to the community.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Understanding of metrics, social media, and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Hutchinson, KS, USA
- Kansas, USA