General Assignment Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
General Assignment Reporter
The Hays Daily News/hdnews.net, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a do-it-all reporter to cover news and features for a city of 21,000 people and the surrounding region. Hays is a regional center for education, health care and manufacturing, and its downtown has seen a new energy with revitalization.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news. He or she will identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms, including social media.
Source development is critical to this position. This reporter will cultivate relationships with city and county officials, business leaders and community stakeholders to break stories.
This is an ideal job for a reporter at a small daily or weekly who’s looking to move up or a college graduate with significant internship experience.
Reporters for the Daily News work closely with the other USA TODAY Network newspapers in Kansas — especially Topeka, but also Salina and Hutchinson — and could gain publication in those newspapers and to participate in training with the other staffs.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Contribute to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least a year of professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Hays, KS 67601, USA
- Kansas, USA