Breaking News Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Cincinnati Enquirer is looking for a breaking news reporter to cover stories across a wide range of topic areas using text, video, graphics, social media and more. This person is adept at handling everything from entertainment and features to crime and courts. They are able to act independently, drawing on audience knowledge, to identify stories our readers and viewers need and want to know about. This position requires fast thinking, sound judgment, the ability to produce content quickly and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to distill information quickly and determine the best course of action.
- Familiarity with digital storytelling tools and techniques.
- Experience with video and alternative story formats.
- Exceptional social media skills and audience engagement experience.
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Or college degree in a related field
- Internship or previous experience in the job duties preferred.
- Experience working in digital journalism
- Experience with social media, online metrics, third party tools, and content management systems
- Exceptional core journalism skills
- Deep understanding of journalism ethics.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Experience in meeting digital goals
This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
HOW TO APPLY
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1) Your resume – one to two pages.
2) A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3) Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Ohio, USA