Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Austin American-Statesman/statesman.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a uniquely qualified visual journalist with a passion for also covering our communities in Austin and around Central Texas.
This visual journalist, who reports to the visual director, will split time between telling the stories using video and fulfilling news, feature and sports photo assignments.
The ideal candidate will quickly build a diverse group of sources throughout the community to help spot news, trends and the uniqueness of our vibrant community that builds a following by informing and engaging readers.
We put an emphasis on digital over print, with visual journalists working with editors to shape the best way to tell individual stories, from text to audio to video to Q&A or other alternative formats. The successful candidate must have a passion for telling stories visually, quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, and always with accuracy.
Located in the heart of Texas, Austin is known as the Live Music Capital of the World, hosting South by Southwest and the Austin City Limits music festivals annually. All ages move here every day to take advantage of the sunny weather, lakes and Hill Country.
Austin has many local and state parks to enjoy, as well as being just a few hours away from the Gulf Coast, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. Austin is a robust and vibrant college town with several institutions of higher learning, including the University of Texas, St. Edward’s University, Huston Tillotson University, Concordia University, Southwestern University just north in Georgetown and Texas State University south in San Marcos. As a culinary destination, Austin offers an abundance of locally grown, raised and produced food and beverage products.
Residents enjoy the many food trucks and breweries, as well as the abundance of good tacos. Together with the neighboring counties of Williamson, Hays and Bastrop, the area provides a quality of life affirmed and enjoyed by residents and visitors alike.
- Report clearly and accurately and providing context for our readers.
- Cultivate visual packages by developing relationships with local communities, especially the underserved. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Deliver stories, photos, videos and galleries via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Work with other journalists to collaborate on stories and visuals.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and fix what's not, using metrics to inform story and visual choices, content delivery, and shape coverage strategies.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Bachelor's or master’s in video, photography, communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year of experience shooting, editing photographs and video stories on deadline.
- Adept at taking photos and video to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media. Understands fast-paced news environment and our digital-first mission.
- Must be proficient in Photoshop; proficiency with Adobe Premiere Pro and Photo Mechanic is a plus.
- Strong copyediting skills, command of AP style, and the ability to produce content copy that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Successful at collaborating and working well with others and working with a team on projects.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting (both on camera and behind) and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Able to work holidays and weekends as needed.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Your website URL or links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Photography & Video
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Austin, TX, USA
- Texas, USA