Platform Developer, SRE
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Join Gannett, a top global digital media company that reaches more than 100 million people monthly through a powerful network of broadcast, mobile & publishing properties. Gannett Product Technology leads development and innovation around digital products across the company – our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever they need us.
Explore the possibilities at Gannett as a Site Reliability Engineer, Edge Platforms as part of our broader Platform Engineering Team.
At Gannett, Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are the sought-out experts on our edge computing layer, including one of our largest pieces of platform infrastructure—the Content Delivery Network (CDN). SREs engage with our product teams and their business stakeholders to ensure we deliver content experiences via systems that are performance tuned, automated, and designed to scale.
- The Site Reliability Engineer will play a key role in developing programmatic infrastructure and automation in order to maintain and improve delivery of services including the entire Content Delivery Network. In addition, the SRE team builds and owns their own applications such as a custom API management layer and incident management tool. The ideal candidate is also excited to work with many different groups to cultivate an understanding of how systems are supposed to work – and from there, they are constantly learning and developing expertise on new tools, technologies and methodologies to make those systems faster, more cost effective and more resilient.
- If you have a passion for programmatic, reliable infrastructure and application development, you will probably fit in well here. We believe in automation, learning, challenging and bettering our peers and teams, and providing a quality platform to our developers. The position is open to remote candidates.
What You’ll Do:
- Create tools and services to enable product development teams
- Build applications and APIs that provide self-service access to platform engineering services and infrastructure
- Standardize observability and reliability across these applications
- Test driven development and deployments
- Continuously improve automation and operational efficiency
- Deploy and maintain CDN configuration and delivery pipelines
- This includes business critical applications such as our Content Management System (CMS) and industry leading media brands like USA Today
- Interact with other teams and product owners to leverage our CDN capabilities for successful delivery of their initiatives
- Improve and establish best practice around our application and infrastructure observability and monitoring.
- Golang, Python, Bash
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Content Delivery Networks (Fastly, Varnish Configuration Language (VCL))
- New Relic (APM, Infrastructure, Synthetics)
- Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services
- Jenkins, Github Actions, Terraform
- Experience developing software and tools to empower development teams and support scalable production applications
- Experience in a programming language
- Experience with auto-scaling and architecture of stateless applications
- Self-starter that can operate in a remote-friendly environment
- Able to collaborate and communicate with teams on large scale product initiatives
- 4+ years of experience in software engineering, operations engineering or similar discipline
- Experience writing Varnish Control Language (VCL) or with other caching technologies
- Experience writing software in Golang
- Strong knowledge of HTTP including standards, tooling and troubleshooting
- Job Family Development & Engineering
- Job Function Product
- Pay Type Salary
- Asbury Park, NJ 07712, USA
- Boston, MA, USA
- Fort Myers, FL, USA
- Manhattan, New York, NY, USA
- McLean, VA, USA
- Memphis, TN, USA
- Milwaukee, WI, USA
- Nashville, TN, USA
- New York, NY, USA
- Rochester, NY, USA
- Springfield, MO, USA
- Tucson, AZ, USA