Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
News Reporter, The Enterprise of Brockton
The Enterprise of Brockton, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to tell the stories for the people of Brockton and the surrounding communities, not just write about them. This may mean watchdog and investigative reporting or powerful storytelling that is informative, moving, enlightening and original, something our readers can’t get anywhere else.
Brockton, known as the “City of Champions” because it was home to boxing greats Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler, has undergone a dramatic demographic transformation, particularly in the past decade, and is now majority people of color. Home to vibrant African-American, Cape Verdean and Haitian communities, as well as many others, this city of about 100,000 located half-way between Boston and Providence has become a beacon of affordable suburban and urban housing that has increasingly attracted working and middle class residents away from Boston. Brockton can claim restaurants like JJ's Caffe, a destination for foodies, as well as a Black-owned craft beer company, a dynamic underground cultural and hip-hop scene and its own symphony orchestra, whose music director is a Boston Pops violinist. We are looking for a reporter to help tell these diverse stories with nuance and depth, as well as the stories of our surrounding towns, with their picturesque and historic New England downtowns, colleges and universities and cultural institutions. If you are looking for a place to do meaningful and interesting work, the Brockton area is that place.
· This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news, staying ahead of the competition on daily and enterprise work.
· Source development will be critical, cultivating contacts among local residents and officials.
· This reporter must identify, produce and post stories, photos and video across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
· Use live chats, social media, video and other tools to replace or supplement traditional story forms.
· Clear, fast writing is essential, as well as a gift for powerful storytelling.
· He or she will use metrics to help understand what’s resonating with readers
· Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
· Minimum of 1-2 years’ professional reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
· Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
· Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
· Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
· Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
· Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
· Collaborates well and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
· Able to work occasional late nights as needed by the news cycle.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
· Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Brockton, MA, USA
- Massachusetts, USA
- New England, USA
- Taunton, MA, USA