Trending/General Assignment Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Trending/General Assignment Reporter
The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an aggressive, digitally savvy journalist to be our next trending/general assignment reporter, identifying, verifying and curating news of what Iowans are talking about on the internet.
This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top of our pageview charts each day.
This reporter will chase news, sports, politics, business and entertainment stories, as well as features, about topics already trending online or based on online conversations.
It’s a high-volume beat, responsible for three to five short posts most weekdays. But doing the job well requires much more than curation. This reporter is expected to pitch a handful of high-audience-potential ideas each morning, add smart context, seek out appropriate multimedia and do original reporting to add value to a reader’s experience. The job also requires writing inviting headlines and social language to lure the biggest possible audience.
The majority of these stories will be considered “top of funnel,” directed at new and occasional readers to turn them into loyal readers and subscribers. Successful trending stories have run the gamut from sightings of wild animals or national celebrities in Des Moines to iconic Iowa moments to political gaffes to “5 things to know” explainer stories about trending topics. This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage and quick-turn enterprise.
Previous experience as a reporter or content producer as well as video editing skills are required.
Des Moines is a growing capital city that has become a magnet for young professionals, attracted by an expanding job base and a vibrant cultural and arts scene.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com mobile and desktop sites and various nondaily publications.
- Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers.
- Use sites such as Google Trends and platforms such as CrowdTangle and Dataminr to mine story ideas from social media and news organizations.
- Seek out compelling photos, graphics and videos and secure permission to use them.
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, videos — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the target audience.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video and file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Des Moines, IA, USA
- Iowa, USA