Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
If you’re looking for a job that will help set the future of what journalism looks like, this is the position for you.
The Planner collaborates with newsrooms across the region to plan journalism in service of creating a strategic approach to drive audience and subscription growth. Working closely with top editors, they orchestrate when and how to publish content to ensure that the right content is delivered to the right audience in the right way on the right platforms at the right time.
To do that, Planners are deeply involved in the newsrooms. They are in the meetings making suggestions for story ideas to help them align with audience and subscription goals. They budget the print newspaper. They decide when and where journalism is posted online. They help create plans for long-term goals and projects. They look at the data to make sure the plans are working and adjust if they aren’t.
This isn’t a writing position or an editing position. This is a planning position, charged with making sure that our best journalism finds its audience. A strong communicator and multitasker, the planner understands that planning is of foundational importance to quality journalism and products, both for print and digital.
So if you’re the type of journalist that keeps plans not only for your work but for your vacations, who is invested in the future of the industry, who has ideas about how a newsroom could be more organized, this could be the job for you.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of audience analytic tools such as Parse.ly, CrowdTangle, Google Trends, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and the ability to interpret and apply such data.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Ability to create detailed plans for projects, special events and enterprise content that connects with audiences on multiple platforms, both print and digital.
- Understanding of and curiosity about the audience development funnel.
- Expertise in digital content for desktop, mobile, tablet, social and emerging platforms.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (news judgment, reporting, producing, editing).
- Experience with print publications is a plus
- Excellent coaching and team-building skills.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combined education and work experience.
- Three to five years of news experience.
- Previous manager job is a plus, but not required.
- Proven proficiency in digital information programming by platform.
- Strong communication and collaboration experience.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Content
- Pay Type Salary
- Wilmington, DE, USA