Columnist/ Editorial Writer
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Austin American-Statesman/statesman.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a full-time Editorial Writer to join its award-winning Opinion staff.
We seek a wordsmith with keen interests in a broad range of local, state and national topics. Accomplished experience in fact-driven reporting and news analysis is a must. Experience in a fact-driven approach to opinion reporting and writing is preferred. The ideal candidate should be passionate about holding elected officials and government agencies accountable.
This writer will make an impact on thoughtful and fast-moving conversations on important and timely issues in Austin and across Texas. Austin is America’s 11th-largest city, home to state government and intense debates on culture wars, government accountability, gun violence, immigration, education, climate change and other topics. Our Texas politics routinely draw national scrutiny.
This writer will be responsible for producing unsigned editorials and bylined pieces, including commentary and columns, enterprise projects and policy and candidate endorsements. The writer will be expected to produce a minimum of two editorials per week, synthesizing input from our editorial board.
Our ideal candidate should have exceptional writing and reporting skills and the ability to write cogently, incisively and in a timely fashion. An intellectual curiosity for news, with a heavy thumb on all things local and state, is a must.
Creativity is a strong plus. Ability to bring strong ideas to the table, keep and grow a long “story” list, and work in a collegial and collaborative fashion with the Opinion Editor and the Editorial Board is required.
Candidates should have a multimedia view and strong web skills. Duties will include developing, delivering, presenting and promoting content on digital platforms.
While self-starter skills are desired, this writer should also be able to handle assignments, including for daily, and to turn them around with speed and proficiency. Ability to react quickly to news is essential.
- Have established relationships with diverse sources of information on a broad range of topics and issues.
- Have a reporter’s mindset, such as being willing to attend meetings or events during or outside of “traditional” work hours, cultivating new sources, and digging for news before it breaks.
- Be adept at engaging with our audience through social media.
- Contribute, on occasion, as an editor.
- Help plan op-ed projects, including candidate and policy interviews and endorsements.
- Work with other newsroom departments, including digital, to identify opportunities for audience growth.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience in coming up with culture and lifestyle story ideas, with strong writing and reporting skills.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Experience developing following around personal journalism through use of social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Ability to fluently speak Spanish is a plus.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
4. A sample editorial of 400 to 600 words relevant to the Austin area or of statewide interest.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Austin, TX, USA
- Texas, USA