Trending News Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Cincinnati Enquirer is looking for a digital-first trending reporter to be part of the News of Now team, finding and reporting on the top news of the day.
The trending reporter will seek out stories that are of interest to our audiences using the latest in trends, metrics and social tools to find stories that will resonate. This person should be creative, write in a conversational style and deliver sharp headlines. A great trending news reporter is interested in a little bit of everything, can report on a variety of topics and has an insatiable curiosity about the world around them.
The position demands initiative, accuracy, urgency and insight. It also demands strong news judgment and the ability to find and identify stories and trends that are immediate, important and influential. Quick writing and reporting skills are crucial. This person can juggle a high volume of stories on a daily basis with aplomb, all the while staying focused on the digital details of story production: headlines, SEO, multimedia assets and other points of optimization.
The person who fills this position needs to be able to self-assign and re-prioritize in real-time. Additionally, this person needs to feel comfortable with being edited by peers – and to contribute in a peer-editing process.
· Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
· Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies. This includes being adept at SEO.
· Identify top trending stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential, specific to attracting search and social audiences.
· Be aware of Gannett properties and liaison with them on a regular basis. Edit local news stories to be consumed by a national audience. Focus on story production details.
· Work with editors to experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms. This includes experimenting with long-tail (evergreen) content.
· Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories important to our audiences.
· Demonstrate fast news judgment on an ongoing basis.
For consideration, please upload a single document that includes your cover letter, resume. and link(s) to recent work.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Ohio, USA