Breaking News Editor
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Breaking News Editor
The Oklahoman/oklahoman.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a breaking news editor. This editor will work with reporters to break news and develop enterprise work with clear writing that outlays the impact of complex issues. The editor will also be expected to report and write and will work closely with the digital team to ensure developing news is projected out on our news and social sites in a timely manner.
The successful applicant will be adept at juggling a wide variety of tasks and capable of editing, reporting and writing clearly and accurately under strict deadline conditions. This means a willingness to tackle any assignment, be it a developing police incident, staffing a news conference, tracking down sources for an obituary or seeking out trending issues that warrant a local story.
While the primary focus of this position is breaking and trending news, we are seeking an editor who can balance that while working with reporters to chip away at feature stories or gathering string for compelling enterprise stories. We want an editor who can own the role, constantly looking for stories we may be missing, jumping on them quickly regardless of topic or beat, and – when things are slow -- always ensuring they have strong stories on their plate.
The editor must bring an audience-service mindset to the job and help determine the best way to tell -- and deliver -- news stories and other relevant information to people who are not coming to us frequently now. We are looking for an editor with a passion for telling stories and helping reporters tell stories quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, always with accuracy.
All Oklahoman editors and reporters handle occasional general assignments and breaking news and are expected to identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms including mobile, desktop and social media.
- Monitor emails, social media, community groups, police scanners and other sources to find stories.
- Efficiently and accurately edit and/or write breaking-news stories.
- Contribute to urgent coverage spanning all newsroom beats.
- Find, pitch and swiftly assign or produce news stories on topics of emerging interest, with a focus on what readers want and need to know.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three years of editing or reporting experience preferred, but we’ll consider candidates with less experience but with all the right tools.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience editing and producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to post and occasionally shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation.
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Oklahoma, USA