Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
News - Reporter/Education
The Bucks County Courier Times and The Intelligencer are looking for a reporter to cover education in Bucks and eastern Montgomery counties in suburban Philadelphia, a high-profile beat of great interest as students, parents, teachers, administrators and taxpayers grapple with getting learning back on track post-COVID 19. This is not a sit-in-meetings-and-report beat.
We are looking for candidates with strong social media and writing skills who will want to engage with parents, taxpayers and educators, and deliver high-interest content. A strong candidate must be able to cover breaking news from individual school districts as the need arises, provide smart and fresh coverage of regional and statewide education trends that affect our key audiences, and develop enterprise and watchdog projects that hold public school districts accountable. Develops relationships with sources, citizens and experts and mines public data to:
- Create regular content about education (articles, social media post, videos, photos) that accurately informs and engages our audiences.
- Own the story of education in the aftermath of COVID-19, including how schools will safely reopen, assess and address learning gaps, integrate best practices from remote learning and cope with children and adolescents who are struggling with emotional and mental fallout.
- Give special focus to the impact of disrupted learning on members of marginalized communities, relying on interviews with community members, records searches and discussions with experts.
- Provide thoughtful, clear, engaging analysis of complex issues, particularly testing, teacher evaluation and the complex financial streams of school funding. Balance daily stories, enterprise stories that demonstrate regional education trends, and longer-term watchdog projects on subjects of particular interest to our audiences.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities with our key audiences through social media, participation in community events, creating and appearing in video panels, and more. Connect with parents, taxpayers, educators and students when appropriate to establish expertise on education and the Courier Times and Intelligencer's key role in delivering education content.
Some collaboration will be expected with our Pennsylvania state team on regional reporting around these topics. This position requires strong knowledge of SEO and a thorough understanding of audience metrics.
Must be a creative thinker who can bring own ideas for content, based on knowledge of the market and targeted audiences.
Must be a self-starter. Must have a positive, collaborative attitude; be flexible and willing to pivot as news demands
Occasional weekend and evening hours are required.
We plan to move quickly as the school year is here.
Please send resume and clips electronically to Executive Editor Shane Fitzgerald at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls for initial inquiry, please.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Langhorne, PA, USA
- Pennsylvania, USA