Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Gannett is looking for a passionate and intellectually curious Data Scientist to join our expanding data science organization and work closely with our Sales and Marketing teams. As a data scientist at Gannett’s Data Intelligence group, you’ll be part of a team that is leveraging machine learning techniques and algorithms to analyze humongous volumes of structured and unstructured customer data to unlock actionable insights and opportunities that help us drive user value and retention. In this role, you will help drive our effort to better understand our customers.
In this role, you have the freedom to proactively work with our leadership teams in Marketing, Product, Revenue Operations and Sales, as well as various departmental heads across the business, in order to identify tangible business goals and translate them into scalable data-driven solutions through a broad stack of technology.
- Partner with cross-functional team of leaders to shape and support our 1P data customer segmentation strategy with quantitative insights.
- Build customer behavior models to build personas, understand user preferences and affinities across the customer journey and provide feedback loop to marketing and product teams.
- Lead the effort in combining 1P and 3P data to perform in-depth analyses to get deep customer insights that the business can use to drive our advertising and subscription businesses.
- Understand the data deeply and effectively translate model outcomes and quantitative findings into actions and stories that drive measurable ROI (storytelling with data).
- Have a solid understanding of and experience in building segmentation models, affinity and look-alike models and propensity (to engage) models.
- Play a highly collaborative role working closely with other data teams inclusive of marketing/product analytics, data warehousing, and data engineering teams.
- Help maintain and enhance current models, tools, and data sources to deliver increasingly valuable, repeatable, and scalable analytic solutions.
- Consult with stakeholders to assess needs, scope projects, and develop data solutions to address business challenges.
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of industry experience in predictive modeling, data science and analysis.
- Previous experience with statistical programming languages like R or Python and a track record of building ML or DL models.
- Hands-on experience with model development through deployment, and subsequent monitoring. You have experience prototyping, implementing, and maintaining data science solutions in a large enterprise.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform (GCP), BigQuery and Data Studio is a plus.
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau or Looker is a plus. Experience in a subscription-based business is a plus.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly to technical and non-technical audiences alike. Your team knows their priorities and you manage expectations with your broader cross-functional stakeholder network and leadership teams.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, and very collaborative environment.
- Must possess a keen analytical mindset and high capability to plan, organize and prioritize work - balancing resources, skills and priorities to achieve success.
- Highly driven self-starter, motivated, and detail oriented.
- Passion to learn new skills and to coach and share knowledge with team members.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Data Strategy
- Job Function Strategy
- Pay Type Salary
- Maryland, USA
- McLean, VA, USA
- New Jersey, USA
- New York, NY, USA
- New York, USA
- Virginia, USA
- Washington, DC, USA