Mount Shasta Daily News Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Mount Shasta Daily News Reporter
The Mount Shasta Area Newspapers/mtshastanews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a digital-savvy reporter to cover daily news and take on occasional enterprise projects in Mount Shasta, California.
The selected candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines while developing high-impact journalism on longer project schedules. She or he understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This role will fit your style if you’re the kind of journalist who’s always thinking of the next story – who has a pipeline of ideas and is eager to collaborate on sharpening and pursuing them.
The Mount Shasta Area Newspapers and digital products are produced by a small newsroom consisting of an editor, reporter and one sports editor. It will grow by one more reporter in June, through a partnership with Report for America.
Our newspapers have been a pillar of their communities for more than 100 years, since the Gold Rush drew intrepid miners to the area who stayed to work in the timber and railroad industries. We cover a massive area: Siskiyou County in farthest Northern California is 6,347 square miles – larger than the state of Connecticut – with a population of just over 43,500.
The county is geographically diverse and boasts 14,179 foot Mt. Shasta, as well as pristine rivers, forests, agricultural land, meadows, cattle ranches, waterfalls and many small towns that each insist on maintaining their own identity. Outdoor activities are abundant and easy to access, including hiking, biking, climbing, skiing/snowboarding, fishing and hunting. Compared to most of California, the area is very affordable.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identifies top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Equally adept at writing breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Works with digital producers to optimize content and reach new readers.
- Is comfortable hosting videos, Facebook Live appearances, and podcasts (preferred).
- Engages with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Writes quick-hit enterprise and trend stories off the news.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
- Reporting/newsroom experience, including internships and student media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Willingness to take on assignments that require car travel.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing. Has a basic understanding of media law.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- California, USA
- Mount Shasta, California, USA