City Government Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
City Government Reporter
The Oklahoman/oklahoman.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a strong storyteller and passionate journalist to cover local city government.
This reporter will break news and develop enterprise work with clear writing that outlays the impact of complex issues.
You must build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records. More importantly, however, the right reporter looks beyond agendas, budgets and political rhetoric to tell how the dealings at City Hall are impacting communities and quality of life.
Oklahoma City is a dynamic community with a vibrant downtown, an NBA basketball team and a thriving restaurant and arts scene, but outside the central core are also neighborhoods struggling with food deserts, poverty, lagging schools and poor health outcomes.
The right reporter is passionate about telling those stories and holding the city accountable for addressing the needs of everyone in the city, not just the wealthy and powerful.
You should have work samples that demonstrate an aptitude for data-driven stories and familiarity with open records requests, and a track record of producing compelling, timely, well-sourced stories.
In addition, we will ask you to connect with the community not just via social media, but on camera, and through community forums and events.
All Oklahoman reporters handle occasional general assignments and breaking news and are expected to identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms including mobile, desktop and social media.
- Breaking news on their beat.
- Creating storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Working toward becoming the community’s leading voice in city government coverage.
- Connecting with the community through reporting and outreach (social media, on camera, live video, podcasts, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old-fashioned tools like conversation.
- Working with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Using real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Collaborating to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Contributing to and collaborating with a team of journalists to serve a readership captivated by government’s role in Oklahoma.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A year of reporting experience preferred, but we’ll consider a recent graduate with all the right tools.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation.
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Oklahoma, USA