Executive Editor & Midwest Regional Editor
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Executive editor, Indianapolis Star // and Regional Editor/VP, Midwest Region
We are seeking a strong, strategic, experienced and innovative executive editor to lead the award-winning Indianapolis Star. The editor must have a track record of leading and producing powerful journalism that changes lives and consistently turns occasional readers into loyal subscribers.
This editor also will serve as the Midwest regional editor for the USA TODAY Network, overseeing publications across Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.
The ideal candidate will be a transformational leader –– someone passionate about watchdog and enterprise reporting who also possesses a deep knowledge of audience. This editor must see and show daily why diversity and inclusion are at the forefront of what we do and how we operate.
We want someone who challenges the status quo, builds teams and innovates.
The Indianapolis Star is the state’s largest news organization and is fresh off a Pulitzer Prize win for National Reporting. Just last year, the Star also was awarded the Katharine Graham Award for Courage and Accountability by the White House Correspondents’ Association; an Investigative Reporters & Editor IRE Medal; and was a finalist for the Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting.
This is a newsroom that consistently produces revelatory work that leads to dialogueand important change. It also is a newsroom known for strong breaking news coverage, beautiful storytelling and strong voices who champion accountability and justice.
In sum, we need a strong communicator and collaborator, as well as someone who understands how to inspire and lead even more sophisticated work through community engagement, social media and other platforms. This person must have impeccable journalism credentials, outstanding leadership skills, and a keen grasp of the ever-changing digital space, including a strong knowledge of visual storytelling. The right editor is people-centric, has high standards, remains focused on the most important priorities and opportunities, and easily shifts between strategy and execution.
Leadership – Leading with Foresight
- Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility
- Provide exemplary leadership in developing and executing the strategic vision.
- Provide leadership and be knowledgeable in state and local news, investigative journalism, public service, and government issues.
- Champion change management efforts that include strong communication of the company’s strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
- Utilize organizational development strategies in designing structure that inspires high performance.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on strategic audiences. Special emphasis is placed on digital and other new platforms. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Facilitate strong community connections with a relevant editorial voice and personal interaction.
People Management & Development
- Attract, retain and develop top talent.
- Understand and execute work/life balance strategies for employees.
- Be a champion of diversity – with the understanding that diversity includes everyone and drives customer and operational innovation.
- Manage for results in a metrics-driven environment.
Product & Content
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision and strategy focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with other departments in the development and implementation of multi-platform products to grow audience and engagement.
- Utilize multiple and diverse sources (individuals, disciplines, bodies of knowledge) for ideas and inspiration.
- Ensure the newsroom’s budgets are managed according to operational needs and priorities.
Measurements of Success
- Impactful journalism that helps improve our community and makes a difference in our readers’ lives.
- Fulfillment of purpose in serving our state and communities with a diverse workforce.
- Participation in creation of successful products that meet the needs of consumers.
- Measurable contributions to the achievement of audience goals on all platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Minimum of five years in significant leadership roles in a newsroom with demonstrated success.
- Clear understanding of the First Amendment and the highest regard for upholding those standards.
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- Experience working in industries undergoing substantial change and transformation.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Demonstrated track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team highly desirable.
- Experience driving a successful turnaround or transformation highly desirable.
Interested and qualified candidates, please apply here and upload your materials combined into one single document with as much of the following as possible: your updated resume, a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, and your portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Indianapolis, IN, USA