Assistant News Editor
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Cape Cod Times/capecodtimes.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an Assistant News Editor to help lead the news operation. The right candidate loves coaching and developing journalists who reveal important news, create stories with power and clarity and bring crucial context that helps our audience make sense of life on Cape Cod and the Islands, in this time.
This assistant editor role gives you the opportunity to impact lives both inside and outside the newsroom. Cape Cod offers a broad range of quality of life opportunities from the beach to hikes and kayaking. There is a vibrant arts and entertainment community. The Times, which has a long history of hitting above its weight with high-quality journalism, has a collaborative newsroom environment in which ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged.
- Organized and thinks digital first from planning coverage and setting deadlines, to working with the digital team to prepare and push out optimized content across all platforms.
- Uses Parse.ly to help reporters to identify and focus on issues of interest to our readers and produce high-engagement content, including accountability, solutions, enterprise and investigative journalism.
- Work with the news editor to collaborate with news, photo, sports, features and digital teams to make sure our best work is surfaced - in print and online - and to share ideas and determine the best use of resources.
- Help staff identify and better engage with underserved communities and broaden our source base such that we regularly include people from minority communities when planning coverage and in our journalism.
- Work with the news team to increase digital subscriptions
- Monitors real-time metrics to understand audience needs.
- Provides excellent customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Represents the newspaper to community leaders and members of the community.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
- Hyannis, NE, USA
- Massachusetts, USA
- New England, USA