Press Operator I
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Press Operator I
Gannett Publishing Services
WE ARE OFFERING A STARTING WAGE OF $17.61 PER HOUR
The Press Operator position is responsible for running a Goss Color liner press. Duties including, setting black and colored ink, registration, maintenance, change rollers/blankets, feed web through press units, operate folder control pages/web alignments, loading and making pasters, and preparing production reports.
- Operating machinery in the press department including reel stands, press units, folder, plateroom equipment, clamp truck, and press control
- Performing work to provide high quality products
- Verify press layouts for reel stand setup
- Load reel stands with proper newsprint requirements
- Make proper paster patterns for various newsprint widths
- Thread paper through press (requires climbing, balancing, stooping and reaching)
- Fill out production paperwork
- Spot plates for various press layouts
- Clean plate cylinder and install press plates in proper positions
- Inspect papers visually during press runs for correct color registration
- Monitor and maintain proper ink and water balance during press runs.
- Install and adjust blankets and rollers as needed
- Monitor printed products for proper folder cutoffs and margin controls
- Perform all ongoing maintenance activities: grease folder, form rollers, press drives, and
- RTP's top off oil levels in units, folder gearbox, slitter drives and motor gear boxes
- Insure quality on time products are produced daily
- Meet all deadlines and goals as set forth by the manager press foreman and supervisor/PIC
- High School Diploma or Equivalent preferred
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is looking for a full-time Press Operator to assist with
daily production on our presses. The work includes preparing the presses for
production, operating the presses or any of their components, cleaning the
presses and the pressroom, maintaining the mechanical readiness of the presses,
and other duties as assigned. Every member of the pressroom staff constantly
strives to achieve the following goals, and the contribution of every press
operator is necessary for success:
- Optimum quality of printed products.
- Observance of all scheduled start and stop times.
- Conservation of material resources, especially newsprint.
- A clean and safe working environment
This position requires a high school education or equivalent.
Experience in web offset printing is desirable, although production experience
of any kind may be helpful. Mechanical ability and familiarity with computers
is preferred. Candidates should have the ability to adapt to change, prioritize
work, handle multiple tasks, remain flexible and interact with people while
demonstrating patience. You must be able to lift/carry up to 100 pounds.
Must be able to push/pull up to 2000 pounds. A press operator spends most working
hours on his/her feet. In addition to long periods of standing, a press
operator is required to climb stairs on the six-level press structure.
Operators engaged in press maintenance and some cleaning activities will be
required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. They often work in confined areas.
Color vision is required.
This position is full-time shift work, which may include scheduled
nights, weekends, and holidays.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Printing/Press
- Job Function Marketing Solutions
- Pay Type Hourly
- Milwaukee, WI, USA