Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Anderson Independent Mail, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a reporter to find and write the most interesting stories in Anderson, South Carolina.
Anderson is a lake community with a downtown that is on a path to revitalization. We want a reporter who will hold public officials accountable, help our audience understand their community and give readers the power to make informed decisions.
We’re looking for a reporter who will cover people and issues, not meetings. You will need to think critically and creatively and write with clarity and impact. This position requires a reporter who understands the impact of growth on a community as well as someone who wants to connect with the people who live in Anderson to report the issues that are most importantto them.
Anderson is a small town with a diverse population. It also struggles with some of the problems that face bigger cities. Close to Greenville, it’s fighting for its identity in a region that is growing much faster than the rest of the country.
To do this job, you will need to be skilled at sifting through social media, building trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in public records. You also should have a desire to dig into data and file FOIA requests to get at information that’s not readily available.
· Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
· Become the leading voice on the Golden Strip.
· Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
· Provide thoughtful analysis of local issues.
· Work with our audience development editor to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
· Collaborate with content teams across the region to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e.photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
· Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
· Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
· Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· A year of reporting experience preferred, but we’ll consider a recent graduate with all the right tools.
· Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
· Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
· Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
· Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation
· Strong news judgement and ability to multitask
· Strong command of AP grammar and style.
· Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
· Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
· Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
· Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
· Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
· Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
· Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
· Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for all driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Anderson, SC, USA
- South Carolina, USA