Local Government Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Local Government Reporter
The Reno Gazette-Journal/rgj.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a reporter who will cover how Washoe County’s three local government bodies— the Washoe County Commission, Reno City Council and Sparks City Council —tackle Northern Nevada’s most pressing issues and how they affect all communities.
Even before the coronavirus pandemic, the Reno-Sparks area was struggling with high rates of poverty, homelessness, and access to health care. We want an enterprising reporter who can show how the policies developed by local elected officials directly affect the people who call Reno-Sparks home, especially those who live in marginalized communities.
Funding for this position will be sustained by a non-profit fund set up by the Reno Gazette Journal with the Community Foundation of Western Nevada, which means the aim is to provide as much public service journalism as possible. The Reno Gazette Journal will aggressively fundraise for this position. There is already substantial seed funding from the John Ben Snow Memorial Trust.
This job is well suited for a reporter who can think critically and creatively and write with clarity and impact on complex issues. We will expect you to break important news and develop stories that engage our audiences on multiple platforms. A successful candidate must build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records.
Please show work samples that demonstrate an aptitude for data-driven stories and familiarity with public records requests, and a track record of producing compelling, timely, well-sourced stories. We expect that you can recognize compelling stories and that you will be quick to jump on them.
In addition, we will ask you to connect with the community not just via social media, but on camera, and through community forums and events.
The Reno Gazette Journal is the leading news organization in Northern Nevada, focusing on journalism that changes lives and laws for the better. It’s won countless awards over the years, from a Pulitzer Prize to many top nods from the Nevada Press Association. Recently, some of its biggest accolades include a Murrow Award and a finalist nod for the Knight Award for Public Service. It's been covering this part of the country for more than 150 years.
Reno is part of a thriving metropolitan area that includes more than 450,000 residents. While it’s known nationally for its downtown casinos, the people who live here know Reno as a home for people who love the outdoors thanks to the vicinity of Lake Tahoe, Pyramid Lake, and the Sierra Nevada. If skiing or snowboarding is your thing, it takes about half an hour to get from an office chair in downtown Reno to a chairlift. Our region is surrounded by breathtaking hikes and mountain bike trails. You can kayak or go fly fishing from the river located just outside our office. Reno is located about two hours from Sacramento and four hours from the Bay Area.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs and engages specific audiences and platforms.
- Becomes the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with editor to develop strategic approach to coverage area that maximizes community impact and reach.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., Photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-5 years' reporting experience. Experience with datasets and/or retrieving public records through the FOIA process.
- Candidates fluent in Spanish will be given preference.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Proficiency on social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation.
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for all driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Nevada, USA
- Reno, NV, USA