Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Do you love writing news and feature stories that capture life in your community, and using your watchdog reporting skills to keep governments accountable? Do you want to be part of a team that shares ideas, meets challenges and supports each other through a shared commitment to high-quality journalism? Do you use your photojournalism knowledge to enhance your storytelling skills? If you join our staff, you’d be doing all this and more while learning about and covering a culturally diverse community in Northwest New Mexico.
The Farmington Daily Times/daily-times.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a passionate storyteller who loves daily and project journalism to meld words with audio, photographs and video components to spread the news across print and online platforms.
We’re the team that led network coverage of the 2015 Gold King Mine spill. We were awarded the annual Best of the USA TODAY Network Journalism Award for Breaking News in our category after our coverage of the Aztec High School shootings on Dec. 7, 2017.
As part of our staff, you’d also be part of the USA TODAY Network, a group of more than 200 publications that work collaboratively on projects and community coverage. In 2019 we joined reporters from two other New Mexico sister papers to document a huge Donald Trump campaign rally in 2019. We gained another network accolade and, more importantly, tens of thousands of page and video views for our news content and online live blogs.
As far as how we stack up against other New Mexico dailies, our paper has won three General Excellence awards over the past four years from the New Mexico Press Association.
We’re a small staff with a big job, and we love what we do. Help us to do it even better.
Under normal conditions the Four Corners region offers everything from rugged hikes to ski town nightlife and good, old-fashioned fall gridiron Friday Night Lights. There’s plenty of opportunities for biking, fishing, rafting and climbing. Maybe museums and art exhibits are more your thing, or trips to the nearby mountains in Colorado for skiing, music and upscale dining in the Durango area.
- Reporting on stories that accurately inform, entertain and engage readers digitally and in print.
- Covering daily news and feature assignments, like municipal issues facing cities and counties, issues before the state Legislature that affect San Juan County, New Mexico, occasional prep sports and college-league baseball game highlight videos, breaking news, musical events and festivals, and maybe even some high-octane cage matches at the local casino via stills and video.
- Enterprise visual stories that have an impact on the community. We emphasize galleries and want more video stories to enhance our web offerings. Collaboration with other reporters is an essential part of this job.
- Transmit photos on assignment, when necessary, from national breaking news or other key live assignments to the USA TODAY Network.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year of experience shooting, editing photographs and video stories on deadline.
- A strong still and video portfolio that shows the photographer’s visual voice and range of expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to create accurate captions for still photos and provide an accurate and appropriate narrative for video projects on deadline.
- Strong copy-editing skills, command of AP grammar and style, and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Successful at collaborating and working well with others and working with a team on stories.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting (both on camera and behind) and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Able to work holidays and weekends as needed.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Farmington, NM, USA
- New Mexico, USA