Reporter, Public Safety & General Assignment
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
News - Reporter I
The Tuscaloosa News / tuscaloosanews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a public safety and general assignment news reporter to produce digital-first breaking and enterprise work.
This reporter knows how to build a strong network of sources to consistently break exclusive news. This reporter has innate curiosity and is eager to learn from peers and share knowledge across the state and throughout the USA Today Network.
The ideal candidate is able to cover community stories as well as generate in-depth and enterprise articles. Candidates must be energetic, self-motivated and aggressive in pursuing stories of interest to our readers. Candidates should be adept at using digital reporting skills and knowledgeable about accessing public records.
This reporter is expected to identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across mobile, desktop and social media. This reporter may use live chats, social media, video and other tools to replace or supplement traditional story forms. He/she/they will use metrics to understand what’s resonating with readers and shape coverage to increase audience.
The Tuscaloosa News is a two-time Pulitzer-Prize winning news organization that serves Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and the surrounding area in west-central Alabama. Tuscaloosa is home to the University of Alabama, the oldest and largest of the state's public universities.
The News is also part of a slate of highly collaborative newsrooms across the South. It isn’t uncommon to be asked to participate in regional severe-weather coverage, large-scale enterprise projects such as the award-winning “Confederate Reckoning” series, or to simply broaden the scope of a local-interest story for regional use.
We reach readers across the state with our print editions, our TuscaloosaNews.com website, and our sister publications including the Montgomery Advertiser and the Gadsden Times.
The Tuscaloosa News is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand through responsible and professional use of social media.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Reports quickly, clearly and accurately to deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Uses metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Engage on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Bachelor's or Master’s in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with significant intern experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience.
- Adept at taking photos and video to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Comfortable using social media to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Alabama, USA
- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA