Storytelling Moments Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Storytelling Moments Reporter
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, a 2018 Pulitzer Prize winner and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a storytelling moments reporter.
This job is for a great writer who loves the everyday drama of the human existence and is dying to tell us amazing stories. You pick up where breaking news and beat reporting leave off -- capturing the real stories of our times.
Sometimes these are sad stories about how people confront death, disaster, or sorrow. Sometimes these are incredible stories of how people overcome adversity. Sometimes they're heart-warming stories that prove to our audience that the news is not all bad: There are kind people doing kind things, large and small, every day.
The expectation for this job is to write a great story every week, keying off big news events or found objects beneath the surface of the news. When Arizonans are lost in the wilderness, you may follow the story of how they're rescued. When a benefactor steps in to solve a problem, you may interview that person to find the real motivation. When a character in the news goes viral or causes a stir, you'll explain to our audience who that person really is.
You and your editors will communicate clearly across other parts of the newsroom to secure lanes of storytelling that keep a wall between you from the daily breaking-news process. But you'll respond to breaking news promptly, picking one storyline and giving your audience some new perspective on it every week. Ability to understand and report a variety of news subjects is important. Having great writing clips, both long and short, is even better.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages, and entertains specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or data-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ newsroom experience.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Experienced shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Arizona, USA
- Phoenix, AZ, USA