Climate News & Storytelling Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Climate News & Storytelling Reporter
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, a 2018 Pulitzer Prize winner and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a climate news & storytelling reporter.
Climate is the defining story of the human existence. It's changing, and those changes are driving new, deadly and expensive patterns all around us. This has been a long-term issue for generations, but in this moment, we also find ourselves at a tipping point, where climate is a short-term reality. Long-awaited water shortages are now happening. Long-held temperature records are falling. Ancient forests that used to burn to regenerate are now just burning down completely. People are losing their homes and their lives.
While the outlook is gloomy, there are solutions -- resiliency, conservation, adjustment and difficult changes in the ways we live will prepare us all for the future. Municipalities face the decision to block human development in wildfire and landslide areas. Water users face mandates to use less. Public agencies that saved people from other health crises must also save them from rising heat.
The task for this climate storyteller is to write about those problems and the possible solutions, quickly, in response to live news, all the time. The expectation is to write short dailies, or stories with a 1- to 3-day turn timeframe, every week. These are good reads that key off of climate-driven events, to show how climate affects everything around us. We tell our audience what's important, in part, by the volume and frequency of what we report. Your job is to report it, consistently.
You'll take ownership of "Hotter," a thought concept we're developing as a sort of ongoing series. The work bridges global warming, drought and human illness and death rates as part of the ongoing story of a hotter world. You'll write on this as a regular episodic news series, with a spot online and a regular space in print, plus other reporting as news demands.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages and entertains specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or data-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ newsroom experience.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Experienced shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Arizona, USA
- Phoenix, AZ, USA