Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
News - Reporter/Education Westchester-Rockland
The Journal News/lohud.com is looking for a reporter to cover K-12 education in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties, a high-profile beat of interest to students, parents, teachers, administrators and taxpayers as they grapple with getting learning back on track post-COVID 19. This is not a sit-in-meetings-and-report beat. In this role, you will write for and about students most impacted by America’s legacy of discrimination and its ongoing impact on education.
You will participate in our award-winning coverage of one of the most compelling education stories in the United States: The East Ramapo (Rockland, NY) school district, where two-thirds of the student population attend loosely regulated private Yeshivas and the other one-third, who are mostly Black and brown, attend public schools controlled by a school board dominated by white ultra-Orthodox Jewish men. Public-school advocates accuse the board of cheating the district’s public-school students out of badly needed funding while directing more and more district money to the private schools. This inequity has ensued for years despite state monitors being installed to watch over the budget and policies of the district. You will cover some of the most affluent districts in the country --- along with majority-minority and struggling urban districts.
You must be able to cover breaking news from individual school districts as the need arises, provide smart and fresh coverage of regional and statewide education trends that affect our audiences, and develop enterprise and watchdog projects that hold public school districts accountable.
If you value, as we do, making journalism more diverse, equitable and inclusive, and are passionate, as we are, about flexing your reporting and writing muscles through riveting storytelling, this is a role for you.
The idea candidate will:
- Create regular content about education (articles, social media post, videos, photos) that accurately informs and engages our audiences.
- Own the story of education in the aftermath of COVID-19, including how schools will safely reopen, assess and address learning gaps, integrate best practices from remote learning and cope with children and adolescents who are struggling with emotional and mental fallout.
- Give special focus to the impact of disrupted learning on members of marginalized communities, relying on interviews with community members, records searches and discussions with experts.
- Provide thoughtful, clear, engaging analysis of complex issues, particularly testing, teacher evaluation and the financial streams of school funding. Balance daily stories, enterprise stories that demonstrate regional education trends, and longer-term watchdog projects on subjects of particular interest to our audiences.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities with our key audiences through social media, participation in community events, creating and appearing in video panels, and more. Connect with parents, taxpayers, educators and students when appropriate to establish expertise on education and our key role in delivering education content.
- Some collaboration will be expected with our New York and USA TODAY NETWORK Atlantic Region teams on education reporting.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Bilingual (Spanish-English, Yiddish-English) strongly preferred.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- New York, USA
- Westchester County, NY, USA