Oklahoma City, OK, USA ● Oklahoma, USA Req #14944
Wednesday, March 31, 2021
The Oklahoman is looking for a talented investigative reporter with mad data skills, an innate desire to shine a light on injustices and the writing chops to bring complex issues to life in powerful narratives and alternative story forms that capture readers and promulgate change.
Oklahoma is a land rich in stories waiting to be told. We want a reporter deft at rooting out stories that no one else has, whether they involve policing, healthcare inequities, environmental hazards or plain old political corruption. Our reporter must also be committed to inclusive journalism, building a range of sources and story ideas that fairly represent the rich cultural diversity of our region.
- Produce quick, mid-range and long-term investigations that expose problems, spotlight solutions and spur change.
- Use data and public records to identify stories and deepen reporting
- Work collaboratively with beat reporters across the newsroom to generate story ideas
- Work with our digital, photo, video and graphics teams to create projects that explode off multiple platforms
- Using social media and engagement not just to promote work but to find sources and story ideas
- Find and cultivate a trusted stable of sources, sometimes at hyper speed in the case of fast-breaking news
- Be able to pinpoint the story buried in thousands of pages or documents or electronic records.
- At least three years of journalism experience with a track record of producing compelling and accurate investigative stories
- Experience obtaining data from various local, state and federal agencies and using spreadsheets or databases to find the story
- A record of accuracy, integrity and fairness in reporting and producing stories
- Strong knowledge of and frequent filer of public records requests
- We encourage candidates with non-traditional journalism backgrounds to apply. If your experience doesn’t fit this description exactly, apply and let us know why you think you’re right for the job.
All Oklahoman reporters are called on from time to time to pitch in on breaking news and other important developing stories outside of their beats, and are expected to work occasional weekend shifts. Our journalists are also collaborative and know the power of involving our photo, video, graphics and digital teams throughout the news gathering process.
When applying, please include a single document, preferably in PDF format, with your resume, a brief cover letter, work samples, portfolio links, etc.
The application only allows one document upload, so please combine your materials into a single document. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Oklahoma, USA