Breaking News Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Breaking News Reporter
The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, s seeking a breaking news reporter to cover crime, fires, traffic accidents, weather disasters and other spot news in central Iowa and to travel across Iowa for big news. This reporter also will have the opportunity to handle some courts coverage.
A breaking news reporter must be adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
This reporter will be expected to develop enterprise and investigative work, whether snagging exclusive interviews with disaster survivors or developing sophisticated analysis of crime trends. Database skills are a plus. Crime coverage will be focused less on specific incidents and more on how crime is affecting communities and how they can combat it.
Clear, fast writing is essential, along with the ability to turn breaking news coverage into readable storytelling. Source development will be critical, among first responders, police, judges, court staff and community residents. Duties include writing compelling headlines and employing SEO best practices to draw in readers.
While days and hours can vary, this reporter will generally work evenings and one weekend shift.
The Des Moines is a growing state capital city that is home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and a large community of young professionals living downtown.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com website and various nondaily publications.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that informs and engages readers.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the audience.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- Ability to shoot photos and video and file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Des Moines, IA, USA
- Iowa, USA