Senior Intellectual Property Paralegal
Cynosure is well positioned competitively to lead and transform the medical aesthetics industry. We are guided by our belief that this is a purpose-driven business, which improves patient’s lives and improves practitioner’s livelihoods.
- We are passionate about driving a healthy and growing medical aesthetics industry with leading-edge marketing which inspires consumers to engage in medical aesthetics.
- We are the leader in science-based technology which elevates the standard of care for consumers.
- We are relentlessly focused on being the undisputed innovation leader, addressing the growing demand for consumer treatments across all demographics.
- We are committed to building and strengthening our unmatched global footprint, with direct employees on five continents and in 15 countries and growing, and distributor partners serving over 130 countries.
- We put our people first and believe personal development drives business development.
- We love our customers and strive give them the leading-edge technology, service, marketing support and clinical education to improve their patient’s outcomes and to improve their livelihoods.
At Cynosure, we look for people who make an impact and encourage everyone to lead, create, and add value. In turn, we invest in our team to grow people’s careers and build upon our high-performance and culture-oriented organization. We work together as one team, winning together.
As we grow our global team, there is no better time to join us. As a market leader in medical aesthetics, Cynosure has over 25 years developing, manufacturing, and marketing products for dermatologists, plastic surgeons, medical spas, and healthcare practitioners. With the aesthetic industry’s most comprehensive product portfolio, our offerings span several categories including skin revitalization, body contouring, hair removal, and women’s health.
Our mission is to set Cynosure customers up for success shaping future leaders of the aesthetics industry and helping everyone who uses our technologies discover their version of beautiful.
Responsible to support one or more attorneys in general paralegal duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent may be asked to perform other function-related activities in addition to the below mentioned responsibilities as reasonably required by business needs.
Intellectual Property Responsibilities:
- Processing and archiving incoming and outgoing correspondence and internal decisions.
- Generate docket reports, perform IP docketing, maintain accurate database(s), and maintain relevant IP records.
- Collaborate with attorney to manage patent and trademark prosecution and brand protection dockets and meet deadlines.
- Communicate with internal clients regarding patent prosecution requirements, procedures, and status.
- Act as a liaison with outside counsel includes coordinating instructions between internal and outside counsel.
- Assist with compiling IP filings, obtaining signatures, and electronically filing with the PTO.
- Collaborate with attorney and others to complete special projects.
- Maintain litigation related correspondence, docket deadlines/next steps, and participate in document discovery.
- Participate in adverse action discovery activities (e.g., participate in investigation, collect evidence required, write summary report to establish prior use in worldwide trademark actions).
- Prepares external correspondence (e.g., collaborate with attorney to draft cease and desist letters).
- Administer contract management system (experience with SAP Ariba or similar a plus).
- Prepares routine legal documents (e.g., non-disclosure agreements).
- Proofreads and edits legal documents.
- Administrative work including filing, invoice management, scheduling meetings, etc.
- Certification or associate’s degree in paralegal studies; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience preparing and filing documents at the USPTO via e-filing including basic patent office transmittals, responses to missing parts, information disclosure statements, and responses to office actions;
- General business administrative/paralegal experience a plus;
- Experience working in a law firm a plus.
- Working knowledge of patent docketing database administration, experience with CPi a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of USPTO and PCT rules and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative to accomplish objectives in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated team player with willingness to collaborate and perform tasks outside of immediate job description when necessary, to benefit the department as a whole.
- Massachusetts Notary public or able to become one.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- ☒Sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- ☐Stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- ☐Lifting/pushing/pulling and carrying products weighing up to 45 pounds
- ☐Potential Exposure to moving mechanical parts, vibration and/or moderate noise levels.
- ☐Potential Exposure to hazardous chemicals or other materials.
- ☐Safety Shoes compliant with site specific policies/procedures must be worn in designated areas
- ☐Potential Exposure to blood.
- ☐Other (please specify):
Cynosure is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Disability, Veteran
- Job Family Legal
- Job Function General Legal
- Pay Type Salary
- Boston, MA, USA
- New Hampshire, USA
- Westford, MA 01886, USA