Senior Research Specialist (Emergency Management)- Safety & Security (Houston-based Part-time)
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
Support homeland security and emergency management projects and other corporate needs including through (1) collecting, processing, vetting, and analyzing pertinent data for further use and/or (2) conducting technical assistance activities such as planning and meetings and seminars.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Apply standard research methodologies to gather, process, and analyze data. Use relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports. Demonstrate facility at the intermediate level with Microsoft Office and other standard CNA software packages to accomplish primary duties.
2. Develop a basic familiarity with the missions and organizational structure of the division or team's major client/sponsors.
3. Participate in meetings with project team. Support preparation for client/sponsor interactions. Identify client/sponsor POC for their projects.
4. Develop a sufficient understanding or expertise on specific tasks, issues or data so as to make a positive contribution to project outcomes.
5. Develop basic knowledge about CNA, its organization, key personnel and personalities, and relevant CNA standard operating procedures (SOPs), to include basic knowledge of CNA business environment. Understand the concepts of core, above core, and above ceiling/ domestic. Have basic awareness of the project development process.
6. Possess the skills necessary to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in oral and written communication. Present and summarize data effectively.
7. Work under close supervision on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Tracks personal project spending.
8. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Take
initiative offering assistance when opportunities arise.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree plus at least 2 years of experience or a Master’s degree in homeland security, emergency management, public policy or in a related field or equivalent experience required.
2. Experience: Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience required.
3. Skills: Microsoft Office; database management; good interpersonal and oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking and organizational skills; knowledge of research techniques.
4.This position will be located in Houston, TX. Candidates should be geographically familiar with the Greater Houston Area and surrounding counties; local travel within the Greater Houston Area may be required.
Please include a writing sample that you have written as the main author to be considered for this position.
1. Cover Letter - Please
include a cover letter as part of your application to be considered for this
position. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your
professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for
your personal interest in applying for this job.
2. Please include a personal
statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us
to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals,
interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our
organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an
elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Pay Type Hourly
- Houston, TX, USA