Family Worker; 5457-210- A
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
The Family Worker is responsible for the programs’ parent involvement. The job responsibilities include but not limited to maintain necessary records, make referrals to appropriate agencies as needed, and work with families in a supportive fashion. The Family Worker in consultation with Family Service Coordinator and other staff serves as a liaison between the center and parents from the community the program serves. Under the supervision of the Family Service Coordinator, the Family Worker will be responsible to assist in recruitment, interviewing, and registration efforts in accordance with the Agency’s policies and Head Start Regulations to determine eligibility of qualified individuals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts In-Takes and Family Partnership Agreements; shows parents around the center.
- Elicits social and developmental information on the child, and shares this information with teachers and other staff keeping with the requirements of the family’s confidentiality.
- Responsible for inputting information in the data master, completing documentation, preparing required reports to document compliance with guidelines on in-takes, eligibility, priorities, classroom attendance and records; responsible for In-Kind Reports.
- Receives and verifies financial and other information needed to determine eligibility as required.
- Contacts the families to receive information, referrals, and other services such as employment mental health, counseling, housing, etc. as needed.
- Adheres to all funding source standards in addition to the Agency (Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens) policies and procedures; seeks guidance/clarification from their immediate supervisor regarding interpretation, applicability, and implementation.
- Strictly adheres to and enforces all the Agency policies regarding Confidentiality, HIPAA requirements, and Corporate Compliance regulations.
- Social Service Duties:
- Establishes good relationships with families so that the discussions of family needs can take place in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect for the confidential nature of the discussions.
- Develops and follows up with Family Partnership Agreements as mandated by ACS and obtains thorough knowledge of the services available in the community; this is necessary in order to establish and maintain relationships with the agencies and staff providing services.
- Follows up to ensure families have received the services to which they were referred.
- Serves as an advocate for the family to obtain services and conducts minimum of two home visits annually to the children in accordance to the Head Start Performance Standards.
- As community liaison, the Family Worker must establish good relationships with all other community agencies and individuals.
- Parent Liaison Duties:
- Organizes parent meetings, assist parents in classroom committees, and DSAPC meetings.
- Staff liaison and Information Sharing:
- The Family Worker must participate in all staff meetings and team meetings with the teaching staff to discuss the individual needs of children.
- The Family Worker schedules and participates in Parent Teacher Conferences in cooperation with the teaching staff and other Social Service personnel.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION/LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma required.
- College Degree preferred.
- Family Development Credential preferred.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- 2 years of experience in Human Services required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suit; Word, Excel, and Outlook..
- Should be able to travel for inter-borough trainings and meetings.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking preferred.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Occasional standing, stooping, crouching, and kneeling.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds..
- Ability to travel to multiple locations within the five boroughs as needed.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education High School
- 525 Parkside Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11226, USA