Asst Teacher; 5431-208-N
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
The Assistant Teacher will assist the Teacher to plan and execute age and developmentally appropriate activities reflecting the Montessori curriculum. Responsibilities include but are not limited to assist the Teacher to maintain the written documentation/reports in order to meet compliance standards of CCNS, ACS, DOH, CACFP, and other overseeing agencies relevant to NYFD; help to facilitate parent involvement in all aspects of the program and promote positive growth and professional development. The candidate will adhere to policies and procedures established by CCNS, ACS, DOH, DOE, and CACFP and comply with procedural norms and standards of attendance, punctuality, and confidentiality relevant to HIPPA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures a learning environment based on the Montessori approach that helps the children develop, physically, emotionally, socially, cognitively, and creatively.
- Supervises the implementation of activities that will promote social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative development of children.
- Adhere to all funding source Performance standards in addition to the Agency mandates of Catholic Charities Neighborhood Services, Inc.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation of the classroom in the absence of the Teacher.
- Shares information regarding children and the program with parents via daily contact and informal/formal interfacings, home visits, newsletters, etc.
- Encourage parents in their role as their children’s primary teachers by acting as resource person (i.e.: disseminating information, actively listening to parents, offering suggestions, etc.).
- Complete written observations, progress reports, outcomes reporting, CROWD, and other documents relevant to the tracking of children’s progress.
- Participates in regularly scheduled staff & team meetings, classroom development workshops on and off site as well as trainings conducted by CCNS, and/or other funders.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with parents/families via open communications, training and other developmental activities.
- Adheres to all Policies and Procedures, seeks guidance/clarification from Program Manager regarding interpretation, applicability, and implementation.
- Strictly adheres to, and enforces, the Agency policy regarding Confidentiality and HIPAA requirements.
- Works closely with parents to foster mutual respect on all levels.
- Assists Teacher in performing center- related services/activities such as parent/teacher conferences, home visits, transition meetings, end of year celebrations, etc. Shares job related knowledge with team members so as to promote and support their professional growth.
- Encourages parents to visit classrooms to observe as well as volunteer during the course of the day.
- Assists Teacher to utilize information obtained via observations, conference, tracking, etc. to design developmentally appropriate and individualized lesson plans.
- Notifies immediate supervisor in the event of an unplanned absence (illness, personal emergencies, etc.).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION/LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
- BA or BS degree in Education or 60 credits including 24 credits in Education preferred.
- Minimum of a High School Diploma required.
- CDA credential or a state-awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA credential, are enrolled in a program that will lead to an associate’s degree or baccalaureate degree or, are enrolled in a CDA credential program to be completed within two years of the time of hire.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- 2 years teaching experience in a pre-school classroom preferred
- Montessori trained or must commit to enroll in the Agency’s Montessori training program within the first year of hire and complete the training as required.
- Excellent oral & written communication in English,
- Excellent organizational, team player, and computer proficiency skills required.
- Ability to use teach and play equipment.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, seeing, stooping, kneeling crawling, crouching.
- Occasional running.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Should be able to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, office equipment, audio visual aids, and teach and play equipment.
- Ability to read printed materials and computer screens.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 5902 6th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11220, USA